Press release -
FACE A FACE - JAPAN NOW!
New season, new passion! The designers at FACE A FACE continue their cultural and artistic exploration of the Italian MEMPHIS movement and discover a surprising connection with contemporary Japanese design.
With Shiro Kuramata, an unprecedented poetic element suddenly appears, such as the red roses at the heart of his transparent Glass Chair (“Miss Blanche” chair). Likewise, Japanese designers like Issey Miyake, Rei Kawakubo and Kengo Kuma express in their work the same mix of delicacy and broken aesthetics... A fascinating contrast!
Thus, FACE A FACE draws inspiration from this movement for its new JAPAN NOW! collection.
From the sculptural cylinders of the KYOTO models to the colourful folds of PLEATS and the haunting echoes of the NENDO range... Each of these new concepts reflects the interplay of the subtlety of Japanese design and the exuberance of the Memphis movement.
This interplay of cultures creates novelty and surprise right through to the colour palette: structured materials, smoky amber colour gradients, touches of pale violet, and almost futuristic halo effects and electric colourssketch a diverse and explosive world.
Joining opposites. Go where opposites and contrasts meet. With FACE A FACE, the unexpected turns into a philosophy.
Bring art into your life with KYOTO.
These sculptured glasses are inspired by Shiro Kuramata’s iconic armchair with a cylindrical backrest (“Sofa with Arms”). The creative spirit of the spectacles is emphasized by the geometric purity of the cylinder, which serves as both endpiece and temple. This iconic design is magnified by angular shapes that create a bold and poetic contrast.
All roads lead to KYOTO!
- Made in France
- Two-tone acetate with an integrated flex hinge
- Three shapes: panto, hexagonal and a large square
- Inspired by Kuramata's “Sofa with arms”, an armchair with a cylindrical backrest
- Cylindrical temples turn into sculptural objects
- An arty concept with graphic highlights on the frame front
- High gluing and processing accuracy
Always dreamt of admiring an eclipse? Just look in the mirror.
Inspired by shadow and light, the NENDO models pay homage to the work of the eponymous Japanese design studio. Expressive in their minimalism, the skilful milling creates a halo of colour that sculpts the frame. Two eyelines in the foreground loom, illuminated by the background contour. An ode to chiaroscuro and sublime eclipses!
- Made in France
- Two-tone milled bronze
- Three shapes: round, cat-shaped and a large hexagon
- A nod to the Japanese design studio NENDO
- Skilful milling creates a halo in the background
- A finish in light and dark
Wrap yourself in the amazing volumes of the PLEATS!
Inspired by Issey Miyake’s work, two lines of colour appear like two origami pleats around the eye. A delicious paradox between their delicate finesse and the format of the shapes, these two lines of colour resonate in captivating shades. All of them highlights that make PLEATS the perfect designer piece you’ve been waiting for!
- Made in Italy
- Three-tone acetate
- Two shapes: hexagonal and rectangular cat eye
- Inspired by the Pleats Please collection of star designer Issey Miyake
- Two coloured lines like two origami pleats
- Solid volumes counterbalanced between these two coloured lines
- Colours resonate and are reflected in each other
Design is the heart of our company
Design Eyewear Group creates and markets iconic eyewear brands, sold worldwide by quality opticians for more than 40 years.
Great design is what defines all our brands. They are versatile and clearly positioned: from audacious French design to a clean-cut Scandinavian look.
Please visit designeyeweargroup.com for more information on our brands.